- Hamsters! Not really. Each of my kinetic sculptures is a wooden machine powered by a constant force spring which must be wound.
- While visually interesting sculptures when still, they become truly fascinating when in motion.
- After a simple winding they entertain with motion and soft sounds for varying lengths of time. Increasing run times has always been a goal. Some will run for 1 1/2 hours while others keep moving for up to 24 hours! That is quite an increase over my original designs which stopped after 20 minutes.
Handmade Kinetic Sculpture
Due to the large order quantity and the impact of COVID-19 on our warehouse and shipping operations, orders will be shipped after 7 days.
- Looking for a great gift for your loved ones or for yourself?
- These three power wood artworks are your answer!
- It will run for hours per winding.
- Balances the negative and positive energies of your space.
- Helps you concentrate or meditate. Looks plainly stunning.
Style 1 Boomerang
Boomerang is a great gift for your family and art lovers.(Warm reminder, you may want to sleep if you keep staring at it🤣🤣)
This is a majestic and mesmerizing moving wall sculpture powered by kinetic energy. After winding it up, the internal spring and gears work together to rotate the front and back wheels forwards and backward in various patterns for up to 14 hours.
Style 2 Vice Versa
I played with the number of spokes, their thickness and their angle relative to each other. Eventually I found a design that I thought would work both visually and dynamically.
I tested the patterning by generating an animation of the design in motion. Of course the real test was to actually make the design. My first attempt wasn't quite right. It was still too off balance.
I tweaked the design and refined my center of mass calculation to more precisely locate the exact point. The second attempt worked as I had hoped.
Half of the pattern shows as collapsing fans while the opposite half is expanding. Just as that becomes recognizable everything is wiped away in a blink pattern. The constantly shifting rotation rates combined with this pattern creates a piece I find hard to stop watching.
More complex patterning wheels usually require a more restrained motion than less complex wheels to prevent the sculpture from becoming visual chaos. Duality has what I consider a more complex asymmetrical wheel design.
In order to fully comprehend the patterns created, the mechanism has to move the wheels in a more predictable way. Alternatively a sculpture like Infinity has symmetrical wheels so I used a more random and unpredictable mechanism to move it.
After designing the wheel for Duality I needed to experiment with the various motions I can create to establish the visually most exciting combination. Once I achieve that patterning balance, I have a sculpture!
How do they move:
After you place your order, we will do the work for you. Normally the process will include cutting the wood, polishing, coating. Then there is the process of motion testing (from 7-10 days depending on the project) after testing and adjusting we will proceed to apply a layer of glossy paint on the work to both increase the aesthetics and protect the work from insects,mildew. Finally we will pack the item and send it to you.
- Material: Wood
- Style: as shown
- Weight: 300- 580G
- Size: 35* 0.8CM
- Packet: 1* Handmade Kinetic Sculpture